Ao. Univ-Prof. Dr.
1090 Vienna, Austria
Recent Publications and Preprints:
In order to cure the old problems of quantum field theory (infrared, ultraviolet and convergence of pertubation theory), one was led to the formulation and study of models over deformed space-time, which means that one takes into account certain gravity effects. Noncommutative Geometry provides the mathematical framework and gives interesting regularization methods.
The main focus of my group nowadays concerns the renormalization problems on the one hand and the questions of formulation the foundations of noncommutative quantum field theory.
The problem of renormaliaztion suffers form the IR/UV mixing. The first way to solve it has been found in common work with Raimer Wulkenhaar. This model leads to a taming of the Landau ghost and may lead to the first nontrivial fourdimensional model which can be constructed. Fermion models are studied too.
Recently together with Fabien Vignes-Tourneret we found one more way to obtain a renormlalizable model. This technique will be applied to various models in order to learn about general aspects.
A proposed action for a BRST invariant gauge model is studied together with Michael Wohlgenannt and Daniel Blaschke in the one-loop approximation.
What concerns the principles of nc QFT over deformed Minkowski space-time we (together with Gandalf Lechner) found a way to implement Lorentz symmetry, but locality turns into localization of fields in wedges. This promising direction will be followed, especially the connection to a euclidean framework is on our agenda.
The implications and connections of this work to problems of quantization of gravity has been addressed in common work with Harold Steinacker. Some relations to string theory are treated together with Karl-Georg Schlesinger.
In addition a few PhD and Diploma student joined us.
1. Diploma Students:
- Albert Much " Emergent Gravity in two dimensions"
- Thomas Kaltenbrunner "A noncommutative quantum field theory at the self-duality point"
2. PhD Students:
- Daniela Klammer: "Emergent gravity"
- Paul Schreivogl: "Nichtkommutative Feldtheorien auf dem nichtkommutativen Torus"
- Rene Sedmik: "Nichtkommutative Eichfeldtheorien"
- Thomas Ludwig: "Die nichtkommutative Chern-Simons Quantenfeldtheorie"
3. Third party funded projects:
- FWF Projekt P-18657 "Noncommutative Quantum Field Theory"
Karl-Georg Schlesinger (Postdoc)
- EU-Fellowship: FP6-2005-Mobility-5, Proposal Nr. 041771, Ren-NCFT
"Renormalization of Non-commutative Quantum Field Theory"
- FWF Projekt P-20017
"Renormalizable Deformed Quantum Field Theory: Matter and Gauge Fields"
Harold Steinacker Postdoc, Michael Wohlgenannt Postdoc, Daniela Klammer , PhD student
4. Workshops, Scientific Programs 2008:
- ESI Conference in memoriam Prof. Julius Wess
4.-6. December 2008
- ESI Program "Number Theory and Physics"
March 1 - April 11 2009
Workshop March 2-13, Conference March 15-20, Workshop April 7-10
- ESI Senior Fellow Lecturer: Prof. Raimar Wulkenhaar: "Spectral Triples"